Thursday, December 23, 2010

Hey World Look At Me

Hey world look at me!!! Ah ha made ya look!

Seriously though...the whole point of "fashion" is to stand out and be noticed so isn't it ironic that in this day an age, folks choose to stand out by dressing EXACTLY ALIKE? I don't get that.

How do you ascertain my intelligence level, my personality and my sense of style, if all you see is a clone of the next girl?

Yet I see this every day. When you ask, "Wouldn't you rather be unique?" you hear strange things like "but I'm wearing Baby Phat!" or "This happens to be Gloria Vanderbuit!" the purpose of clothes is to avoid being naked in public. The purpose of fashion is to avoid being boring while you are avoiding being naked. However, if your idea of excitement is to wear the same shoes, shirt and jeans as everyone else...you missed the point. Let me tell you something ... if I'm gonna wear someone's name on my butt ... it's gonna be my own. So there.

I specialize in unique. If nobody else has it, that's what I want. It has been my experience that the only way to truly be unique has been to be my own designer. Don't get me wrong...these designers have some great stuff, but if all you see and think, when you look at their designs is "who you're wearing" maybe it's the notoriety of the name you are after and not the design itself.

When you look at my stuff, I hope the first impression is "Wow, I want that!" not "hey who's this?" I don't care if you say "This is an Aptitudes Unlimited original", I'd rather you say "This piece spoke to me, it made me smile." It's presence made others say "Oooh I want one!" I want my work to accentuate, not dictate, your own unique sense of style.

All my stuff is unique, most of it is knitted...I can knit anything...traditional wool...to wire. If I get an idea for something I try it....sometimes just the one time, some techniques are my own creation and won't be found anywhere else except at the end of my hands... so when you go to http://AptitudesUnlimited.artfire.com or http://peepla.etsy.com and see my stuff, and you see 3 of this, 4 of that but only 1 of those...it's cuz it's the ONLY one of those and it's the only one like it in the world. Some things can never be repeated and will stay one of a kind, forever. It's entire purpose...other than to bring me joy in creating it, is for the piece to say "Hey World...look at me!!!"

Lakaya M. Peeples
8/28/2010


I wrote this article on another blog...then it occurred to me...duh put it on your own blog....so here it is.

No comments: