Saturday, January 8, 2011

Brown sock yarn...can we get some PLEASE!!!

And while we're getting brown sock yarn...can we get more stores that
sell yarn...period.

Ok client asked me to knit her 2 pairs of brown socks...today I went
shopping for the impossible...sock weight, sport weight, fine, dk
yarn...you know...that all socks are made of....when I found sock
weight....no brown. Sport weight...only brown is 100% acrylic. I did
find a brown stripe...if the customer don't like it I may have to eat
the cost. And I found a solid brown...it's worsted weight but I can make
it work. The worsted weight brown says "taupe" and was in a bin with
other skeins that were varied shade of same brown...one was very
light...all said "taupe"...say what?

It's 100% feltable wool. Hand wash only. The other yarn is machine
washable and brown striped.

Yarn companies...can we get some brown sock weight yarn, please?! I know
in the past...you could only get white, natural or brown and if you
wanted color....you had to dye the yarn. Today...every beautiful color
on the planet...except brown. What's with that? Remember sock knitters
aren't just making socks for women and kids...some are knitting for boys
and men and the occasional odd female client that request brown socks in
ladies size 9 cuz it's her favorite color.

I should not have had to spend 2 hours at 3 different stores searching
for brown, wool, sock yarn. Discoveries were made while I was out....the
one store that usually has everything...has shortened the yarn aisle to
a yarn bin. The store that usually has nothing...but sock yarn...now
carries everything...still didn't have brown...they had the brown stripe
in the pic. And the standby that has yarn...but is a good drive
out....they have all but eliminated the craft section...only have a
small section of Red Heart acrylic...no wool, no cotton, no
silk...basically...they have nothing....and none of it was brown.

This is when it occurred to me...I hadn't seen black or white either. An
ombre gray was the closest to black. A yellow/cream stripe was as near
to white as you could get. What happened there?

That's all I have to say on that....now can we get some brown socks
please?!?
http://purplebutterfly-peepla.blogspot.com/
~ http://AptitudesUnlimited.artfire.com ~
:: http://peepla.etsy.com ::

No comments: