Sunday, January 2, 2011

That One Little Word...

There is one word in the English vocabulary, on the profane side of the dictionary....that sets me off everytime I hear it. It is a word I have heard used in every walk of life, in every lifestyle division thereof. Usually it gets you a disapproving frown from my face. However, when this word is used by our children, I find myself correcting someones child. I can tolerate the b word, but dont like it. I can tolerate the f word and i dont like it. but when a child feels free enough to use the word in question, at a church function directly in front of or directly to an adult....look out. Today was such a day...this child used the word in complaint about the weather while we were looking for shelter by the bathrooms of the stadium...the reaction of other adults...wide mouth stare...my reaction, I went off. I told this child that every time he leaves his house, he is a reflection of how he was raised. He said "I know, my mom says that." I then asked him "how are you honoring her by saying what you just did. if you wont put it in your mouth...why would you let that word come your mouth. Psalms 19:14 says Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer. and there is no where you can go that you are not in his sight. this kid couldn't get away from me fast enough. Later in the day, same kid, joined by his brother and his friends....trying to impress these girls who OBVIOUSLY weren't interested anyway....used this word again. I looked at him and said "Didnt I ask you not to use that word around me? to which he says "oh you must be drunk why are you the way you are?" So I explained to him why I am the way I am, I told him that scripture again...and about 4 more. I told him I'm not gonna preach to you today, then he said something really disrespectful so I let him hear some more until he choose to leave my presence. His brother apologized. He cant apologize for someone else, but maybe a seed was planted that will let him and any child that comes near him see Jesus. People, when you leave your house, you are a reflection of how you were raised, your words, your actions, even the way you dress represents your family. do not dishonor your house acting like that. IF you just gotta act like an idiot...do it at home. If you gotta use unsavory terms....DONT do it at a church function. If you are silly enough to use that language at a church function, look around first cuz if you see me....you gonna hear me. If you feel free enough to throw profane language at me, I am for sure gonna throw scripture at you. Parents: Keep in mind that what you say when "grown ups are talking" is recorded by the "children who should be seen and not heard" and the moment they are away from you....they are gonna open there mouths. What do you think they are gonna say? Children: In Ephesians 6:1-3 it says 1Children, obey your parents in the Lord, for this is right. 2"Honor your father and mother"—which is the first commandment with a promise— 3"that it may go well with you and that you may enjoy long life on the earth." When you dishonor your parents with that 'one little word' you are doing more than you know...so stop it. Well, I had to get that off my chest. thanks for letting me vent.

~ Lakaya M. Peeples
8/22/09

No comments: